Saturday, September 20, 2008

What the Moon Saw

Also on the Lone Star list....
What the Moon Saw, by Laura Resau, is a lovely and beautifully written book. When I grow up, I hope to write as lyrically as Ms. Resau.
14 year old Clara Luna who has always lived in Maryland with her parents, has never even really thought much about her father's parents--after all, they've never met and her father doesn't discuss his past. However, all that changes when Clara goes to visit her grandparents in a remote village in Oaxaca, Mexico.
For the first time, Clara begins to experience her Mexican heritage. She also comes to see that her Abuelita is a healer with mystical understandings of the world, and she meets Pedro, a boy from the village, and feels the blush of first love.
I cannot tell you how much I loved this book. It is a beautifully written coming-of-age story that I highly recommend.

No comments: