Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Batgirl was a librarian!

In the spirit of the new Batman movie, I thought I'd give you a little background information on my favorite superhero....it's Batgirl, of course! After all, she's a crime-fighting, bootie-kickin', book-lovin', way-cool librarian.

Barbara Gordan was actually the 2nd incarnation of Batgirl, but by far the best and most popular one. I've included the Youtube video of the never-aired pilot episode of the 60's Batman show (in all its kitschy glory)where we first meet Barbara Gordan.

Later, after being paralyzed by the Joker, Batgirl returns as the crimefighter "Oracle" who uses her amazing library skills to fight crime. As Wikipedia puts it, "in a world increasingly centered on technology and information, she possesses a genius-level intellect; photographic memory; deep knowledge of computers and electronics; expert skills as a hacker; and graduate training in library sciences." She not only fights crime, but she basically runs the whole shootin' match for every other superhero, too.
Yeah, we librarians are cool bunch.
And yeah, I want to be Batgirl when I grow up.

with thanks to www.naughtykitty.org/librarian.html for the super-cool pic. Check out their link on the right of my blog!
If you share a love for all things Batgirl, check out ALA's read posters--they have one
and it is greatness.

No comments: